Friday 28 January 2011

Film Music Free Friday

At the risk of promising a regular feature, I decided that Friday should be Film Music Free Friday for Soundtrack Express as an antidote to FSM's usual Friday news slot (the item formerly and oddly known as This News Friday). In fairness, it won't be entirely devoid of film music content (but calling it Mainly Film Music Free Friday is clearly ridiculous...). Topics may or may not include:

Non-film music albums - At the old site, I did used to review the odd thing by other artists (mostly the Divine Comedy, my favourite band) and composers. However, in this case it'll be more general recommendations and thoughts about other music that I like.

Classical - I don't (honest guv) want to start arguments over what James Horner has or hasn't pilfered from the classics, but there's a world of classical music that has been used as, um, "inspiration" for a lot of film music. A few are well known, but plenty are quite obscure, so hopefully might be of interest. Film music is a great starting point for discovering the classics, as my own experience attests, even though I've reached a bit of a wall lately in terms of new composers, but the joy of discovery is quite exciting.

Movies. Films. Flicks. Motion Pictures. And some TV - Maybe a review, maybe a general rant/love fest on the state of cinema going today; something of that ilk. Plus any TV shows I happen to have seen and feel deserve some kind of recognition, even if they are a bit old - I am tempted to write a bit about Battlestar Galactica, but realise it's a bit old news now. Oh well, it's my column and I'll write what I want to (you would too, if you were writing it... too).

Miscellaneous Ranting - As per last week's entirely unannounced column, some will just be about random spleen venting on the tangential aspects of film music, films or TV but not actually about the music or visual pleasures themselves. Of course I might just rant about the state of the UK rail service (it's shit and expensive).

You - If there's anything you'd like me to write about (as if), drop me a line and I'll consider it. However, that's on the proviso that I may know sod all about whatever it is you want me to opine on so may have to pass, so don't come crying to me if I have to politely decline.

No comments: